Miss Mabrouk of Egypt

Check the archives too - a lot of good stuff to enjoy. Me myself? Off to new adventures in the blogosphere, if time permits.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Prayer Blast

Larger issues are at your husbands hand but this article raises a topic I wanted to discuss with you for a long time: the tyranny of the morning prayer calls. Don’t get me wrong; I love the prayer calls when it’s done with love and care, which I think is what the Prophet intended. It’s not many years ago when I still looked forward to the beautiful chanting from the minarets. Now, when shops and garages are turned into minor mosques and equipped with large loudspeakers attended by people who care more about showing they do their duties than doing it right, we’re talking serious noise pollution for a majority of the city’s inhabitants.