Miss Mabrouk of Egypt

Check the archives too - a lot of good stuff to enjoy. Me myself? Off to new adventures in the blogosphere, if time permits.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Born Again Muslim Woman's Tale

Her childhood was dominated by Islam and the learning of the Qu’ran. At University, she entered the secular world and left religion behind. Then the London bombs happened.
It's been more than 20 years since I prayed in a mosque. The last time was when, as a reluctant 12-year-old… Watching them carry out their ablutions was not a pretty sight, hawking spit and mucus as required by Islamic practice from their mouths and noses before being able to pray. … Recalling the Arabic that my father had taught me came easier than I expected. Suddenly, tears started to roll down my cheeks. I sneaked a glance at the other women. They were all dry-eyed.

At first, I thought it was guilt, remorse at not having stepped inside a mosque for so long. Then I realised - I was crying for my faith.