Miss Mabrouk of Egypt

Check the archives too - a lot of good stuff to enjoy. Me myself? Off to new adventures in the blogosphere, if time permits.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Parody of an Election

Suzi dear! Time to say something about “the topic” again although I hardly thought I would again. You know this far better than me but let me try to sum up recent events and you can correct me if I got something wrong:

Thousands of people protested around the country every week against a suggestion to electoral reform that would allow more than one candidate to stand for the first time. The protests were not about the principle, but about a problem in the draft bill that meant that the incumbent (your husband, love) would win anyway. Following the popular vote, leading judges dismissed the whole process as a parody. The government claimed one large number of participation, everybody else a much smaller. Now the debate is about when the real vote will take place, that about who will become the next president. Two political parties just pulled out.