Miss Mabrouk of Egypt

Check the archives too - a lot of good stuff to enjoy. Me myself? Off to new adventures in the blogosphere, if time permits.

Monday, September 05, 2005

High School with Pregnancy Curriculum

Of this Ohio High School's 490 female students are 64 girls - 13 percent - pregnant.
High school senior Monica Selby thought she would be busy this year planning for college, not preparing for the birth of her first child. "I've been crying every day and every night. I keep on blaming myself for this," said the 18-year-old Selby, who is six months pregnant.
When confronted by tragic news like this, I'm so pleased I live in a Muslim society. Put it in a larger perspective: the culture, the attitudes, the freedoms, the fostering - all contributing factors together result in two words: child abuse. Or should the blame fall only on this girl - and the 63 other who are pregnant at this early age?