Miss Mabrouk of Egypt

Check the archives too - a lot of good stuff to enjoy. Me myself? Off to new adventures in the blogosphere, if time permits.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Nice Way to Alexandria

Sometimes the Internet is just too much fun. I came across a piece titled “Alexandria, Egypt. Some Nice Travel Experiences” and, since it was on useless-knowledge.com I had a hunch it somehow would pay off, one way or the other, to have a quick glance.
Incidentally, if you can find the right cook, camel meat is first-rate—not great, but fine. Because I ate it out of a restaurant, and it was very dry, and his wife was a fine cook, restored my faith in the camel.

You see what I mean? Fair enough, my English isn’t worth applauses either at times. Scrolling down the page, I find links to books on Amazon.com by the same author. My God, what is the age of self-publishing doing to us? It turns out the guy has published some 30 books! I find a review which is overly positive. How is that possible? It’s signed Rosa. In the next section I’m told the guy lives in Peru with his wife – Rosa! Next, the readers’ comments:
Well, Dennis' wife loved this stuff, but it is incomprehensible and unreadable to the rest of us. Amazon tells us that about 5 copies of this book are for sale used. Those must be all 5 sold.

So what does his wife do? Post another comment with a five star rating.

Can’t blame them for trying but I wish some people would just stay in the blogsphere where shitty writing and mediocre analysis is the norm anyway.

On another note: this travel piece by two Hindis love of Sharm El-Sheik wondering what will happen next did at least provide a personal touch.